The Parish of St Thomas’ Henbury and Broken Cross
PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 23rd June 2021
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Linda Craig as the Parish Safeguarding Officer
Incumbent Rev John Harries (Rural Dean acting Priest in Charge)
Churchwardens Bob Toms
Date: 23 June 2021
We take our duty and obligation to safeguard and protect all people extremely seriously, and we have adopted the national Church of England’s robust safeguarding procedures and guidelines. If you wish to speak to someone about a safeguarding issue, please contact our safeguarding officer,
Linda Craig on 01625 424505
E-mail The church safeguarding officer
If Linda is unavailable, please contact the Chester Diocese safeguarding team Pauline Butterfield E-mail: email@example.com
T: 01928 718834 x 221 or 07703 800031
Stephen Ellis E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
T: 01928 718834 x 261
You can find out more about the national policies and procedures at www.churchofengland.org/safeguarding. If you or anyone you are in contact with would like to talk with someone independently, please call the Safe Spaces helpline on 0300 303 1056 or email email@example.com